METHODS: A nationwide population-based survey involving 3977 community-dwelling older persons aged ≥60 years was conducted via face-to-face interview, of whom 3466 older persons were eligible for screening using a locally validated tool. Elder abuse was defined as any one occurrence of neglect, financial, psychological, physical or sexual abuse perpetrated by someone in a position of trust that was experienced in the past 12 months.
RESULTS: About 9.0% of older persons in Malaysia have experienced elder abuse in the past 12 months, with neglect being the commonest type experienced (7.5%; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 5.54, 10.07). There is no significant difference by age group and geographical location. Males (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] 1.7; 95% CI: 1.06, 2.60), poorer social support (aOR 5.0; 95% CI: 2.25, 11.22), dependency in activities of daily living (aOR 2.1; 95% CI: 1.23, 3.44) and a previous history of abuse (aOR 10.1; 95% CI: 4.50, 22.86) show higher odds of experiencing elder abuse. Almost 5% of abused older persons reported experiencing multiple types of abuse. Reporting is low at 19.3% with none reporting to healthcare personnel.
CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of elder abuse in this study is lower than global estimates, but similar to local studies. Preventive measures and programs are crucial to overcoming elder abuse and need to be carried out at multiple levels - the individual, community, healthcare and other stakeholders. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2020; 20: 85-91.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted via phone interview using a structured questionnaire in patients with RD aged > 18 years old scheduled for clinic appointments from 4 to 28 May 2020, which coincided with the second wave of COVID-19 cases in Malaysia. The questionnaire included demographics, COVID-19 screening questions, depression and anxiety symptoms screening using questions derived from the Patient Health Questionnaire-2 (PHQ-2) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder-2 (GAD-2).
Results: Among the 361 patients enrolled, the majority were females (83.1%), and over half (54.3%) were ethnic Malays, 41.6% had rheumatoid arthritis, 34.6% had systemic lupus erythematosus, 12.2% had spondyloarthropathy, and only one (0.3%) patient had COVID-19 infection. The mean age of patients was 48.2 years (range: 16-80 years). The frequency of patients with depression and anxiety symptoms was 8.6% and 6.9%, respectively. Married patients reported feeling more anxious (p =0.013), while patients with tertiary education levels reported feeling more depressed (p =0.012).
Conclusions: The incidence of COVID-19 infection is low, probably due to the low rate of testing. Depression and anxiety symptoms reported by patients in our cohort were modest. Our findings suggest that the COVID-19 pandemic has a greater impact on married patients with RD and those with a higher education level.
METHODS: Subjects were recruited from lipid and cardiac specialist hospitals. FH was clinically diagnosed using the Dutch Lipid Clinic Network Criteria. Patients' medical history was recorded using a standardized questionnaire. LLM prescription history and baseline LDL-C were acquired from the hospitals' database. Blood samples were acquired for the latest lipid profile assay.
RESULTS: A total of 206 patients with FH were recruited. Almost all of them were on LLMs (97.6%). Only 2.9% and 7.8% of the patients achieved the target LDL-C of ＜1.4 and ＜1.8 mmol/L, respectively. The majority of patients who achieved the target LDL-C were prescribed with statin-ezetimibe combination medications and high-intensity or moderate-intensity statins. All patients who were prescribed with ezetimibe monotherapy did not achieve the target LDL-C.
CONCLUSION: The majority of Malaysian patients with FH received LLMs, but only a small fraction achieved the therapeutic target LDL-C level. Further investigation has to be conducted to identify the cause of the suboptimal treatment target attainment, be it the factors of patients or the prescription practice.
METHODS: We conducted a cross-sectional study from July to October 2019 that included all patients with gout who attended the clinics. Data on clinical demographics and laboratory results were collected. Comparison between tophaceous and non-tophaceous groups was performed using descriptive analysis.
RESULTS: A total of 421 patients with gout were involved in this study, 83 (19.7%) patients had visible tophi and were categorized into the tophaceous group, while the other 338 (80.3%) patients were categorized into the non-tophaceous group. The majority of patients were male with a mean age of 57.6±12.8 years. Three factors found to be significantly associated with tophaceous gout were age at symptom onset [tophaceous (45.6±13.3 years) vs. non-tophaceous (49.7±13.9 years), p = 0.026], mean disease duration of gout [tophaceous (105.2±92.6 months) vs. non-tophaceous (77.6±88.6 months), p = 0.013], and baseline serum uric acid level [tophaceous (622.3±129.1 µmol/L) vs. non-tophaceous (582.6±102.3 µmol/L), p = 0.021].
CONCLUSIONS: Tophaceous gout is associated with longer disease duration, higher baseline serum uric acid level, and younger age at symptoms onset. Hence, early initiation of urate-lowering therapy with a treat-to-target approach is crucial to prevent tophi formation.
METHODS: Eleven experienced cardiologists from across the Asia-Pacific countries participated in two rounds of the survey. In the first round, experts were asked to rate agreement/disagreement with 35 statements across seven domains regarding the use of β-blockers for treating hypertension, heart failure, coronary artery diseases, co-morbidities, as well as their safety profile, usage pattern, and pharmacokinetic variability. A consensus for a statement could be reached with >70% agreement.
RESULTS: Except for seven statements, all attained consensus in the first round. In the second round that was conducted virtually, the experts re-appraised their ratings for the seven statements along with a critical appraisal of two additional statements that were suggested by experts in the preceding round. At the end of the second round, the final version included 36 statements (34 original statements, two statements suggested by experts, and the omission of one statement that did not attain consensus). The final version of statements in the second round was disseminated among experts for their approval followed by manuscript development.
CONCLUSION: Attainment of consensus for almost all statements reconfirms the clinical benefits of β-blockers, particularly β1-selective blockers for the entire spectrum of cardiovascular diseases.